R.I.P

I have some horrible news!  I leaned yesterday that there was a hawk at my barn.  If you don’t already think you know what that means then I will tell you.  Three young chickens were lunch for a hawk. I am really upset because the hawk took my favorite chickens.  Tulip ( a really tiny campine hen) Cappy ( Tulips campine rooster boyfriend) and finally Rod ( a buff polish rooster baby that saved his girlfriend classy and died in the process).  They saved all the other chickens R.I.P Tulip Cappy and Rod.  We scared the hawk away and we are hoping It never comes back!  I have written this post in hot pink Tulips favorite color.  Have a moment of silence those of you who have met the chickens that have left us . 

19 thoughts on “R.I.P

1. Hi Cuz!

I’m sorry to hear about your chickens but, hawks have to eat too. I had no idea that you had 60 chickens! That’s just too many. Eat more of them! My favorite animals are snakes and I’m sure that you’ll never discuss them here because so many people hate them. Our four dogs are awesome and I can’t wait to read what you have to say about their very distant cousins.

The girls will be on soon. I just figured out how to find this and will explain it to them tomorrow.

Love to you and your parents,
    Dan

• Dear cousin Dan,

That is true hawks do have to eat but we have so many squirrels why couldn’t they eat them? I would never eat our chickens they are for eggs, feathers, and fertilizer not for eating! I might talk about snakes sometime I like them a lot they are really misunderstood creatures. Some people think that snakes bite just to bight but they bite when they are scared wouldn’t you be if there was some big thing coming towards you? Tell the everybody I say Hi and I hope they can visit my blog in the future!

Love,
      Amanda

• Amanda,
        Hawks need variety too and squirrels can be tough to catch. I’ve passed your message on to the girls and they’re very excited to get on and check it out. I hope that you do post about snakes. I love all of mine and want so many more that it might be deemed an obsession…well ok, it is.

• Dear Dan,

That is true but I really loved those chickens it is just really sad and now I have learned that 2 animals at my barn have cancer so it is a sad month. but I’m glad the girls will be on soon! Tell everybody we all say hi!

From,
          Amanda

2. Dear Amanda,

Im sorry to hear about your chickens. I love animals so much and I couldn’t ever imagine losing a pet that is so close to me. I hope that hawk never comes back to your barn again. Altough I have never met your chickens I feel bad for you and I hope you get better soon. 🙂 P.S. I really love you blog it so cool. Keep it up because it is amazing!

Sincerly,
    Alexis
    Techie Kids

3. Dear Amanda,
    I’m sorry to hear about that. Maybe you should close up the way the hawk got in. Then another hawk or a different animal cant get in. Well, you’ve probably already thought of that. Anyways, I hope you feel better soon 🙁
    -Molly

• Dear Molly,

We cant close the way the hawk got in because our chickens are free range which means they are allowed outside of their pen. They are caged in for the night although and we have electric fences, netting, and chicken wire but still we must need more protection. Thank You!

From,
      Amanda

4. Hi Amanda is that true do you have 60 chickens that’s A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How do u know that Tulips favorite color is pink? And how do you know that they have boyfriends and girlfriends what if they didn’t even like each other.

• Hi! I know we do have a lot of chickens but we just got a few months ago a shipment of 27 baby chicks because a lot of our chickens are old and don’t lay eggs anymore. I know Tulips favorite color is pink because when I would wear anything pink to the barn she would tug at whatever it was she was a really tiny chicken and a girly girl if I do say so myself so I thought her favorite color has to be pink! When a chicken has a boyfriend or girlfriend the boyfriend will do whatever he can to save his girlfriend even risking their lives. That’s what happened in this case. The girlfriend on the other hand will sit next to the boy chicken and groom his feathers if they really like each other! Isn’t that adorable?! 🙂

5. Amanda, I am very sorry for the loss of your chickens. I would really enjoy it if you had made a post about ALL of your animals, and their favorite colors:)

–xx, Adriana

• Dear Adriana,

That is a really good idea I will have to “ask” my animals what their favorite color is and then I just might make a post about it! Thank you for that wonderful idea!

From,
      Amanda

6. Dear Amanda,
    I am sorry to hear about the chickens. At my aunts house 2 chickens died :(. One of them was a big chicken named Manny. He had many long feathers. He had beady eyes. Another chicken that died was really mean. When you when in to get eggs it would peck you. My mom once got pecked by that chicken. That chicken and another boy would have fights for one of the girl chickens. All the chickens in the coop would be mean to my cousins chicken. I am happy my chicken survived though. He is a Rhode Island red. His name is Mini Man. My cousins chickens name is Dorathy she is really friendly and never pecks. RIP to your chickens and the ones at my aunts house.
    From,
    Kaylee PS I love your blog!

7. Dear Amanda,

I heard about your chickens. I’m so sorry. I have experienced the same thing. Ok well maybe not with chickens, but it was still sad. Well one day I was at school when they called me to the office. They said my mom was there. “Chuck” she started ” I’m so sorry but your bunny Christopher he well he is dead. He got out and was run over” I started crying. I envy you for having more chickens.

Chuck

8. Dear Amanda,

I have followed your blog for quite some time now. Your blogs are very interesting. I think your blogs relate to my life. I have 73 chickens. Most of them are boys but about 10 of them are girls. Every chicken has a name. I know all of there names because I put tags on them. I am an awesome farmer. I am 11 years old. I live in the small town named King City. King City is in California. I wish to keep in touch.

• Hi! Thank you! I hoped I would relate to people because I really love animals and I had hoped that other people did too! You have even more chickens then me! Why do you have mostly boy’s is there a specific reason or do you just like roosters? All of my chickens have names to but I have a hard time remembering them all! I am also 11 years old! I will turn 12 in june. I have always wanted to go to California but I live in Massachusetts so that is a long plane ride! I would also like to keep in touch you seem like an interesting person. Do you have any other animals also what is your name? My name is Amanda but I bet you already know that because my blog is called Amanda’s Animal blog! HeHeHe:)

From,
      Amanda

• Dear Amanda,

Hi Amanda my name is Nick.
        My friend noticed your grammar error. He just wanted to mock you because he thinks you are crazy.
        I on the other foot, do not think you are crazy. I think you are charming.

• Dear Nick,

Thank you for telling me! I am a little confused though. ( don’t worry I don’t take being crazy as an offense because I think crazy=FUN! Hahaha.

From,
          Amanda